Skip to main content

Busy, busy, busy

Phew...our moving sale is done!!  Last week was spent getting ready for it and it was held on Friday and Saturday.    It was absolute chaos, mainly because the ladies we hired to do it didn't give themselves enough time to price everything and they were pricing frantically up to the last possible minute.  I'm glad we had them do the sale, though, because there were lots of people who came.  We sold most of our big stuff, still a couple tables left and a sofa but we should be able to get rid of those soon. Not only were we dealing with the sale, but we had to take DD to the ER on Thursday evening and it turns out she has a double ear infection.  Then we had to go again with DH and it turns out he has bronchitis.  Aidan has a cough but so far, it's not too bad.  And I'm coming down with something but hopefully I can fight it on my own.

Yesterday, we took a day for our family, just to try to give the kids a fun time without the move dominating our lives!  We took some things over to our housekeeper's house and we had a great visit with her.  Then we took the kids to a little kids' amusement park here.  They absolutely love it so it was a great day for them. 

This week is busy with paperwork stuff.  Today, we have to close our bank accounts and get our money in US dollars, which will take forever.  And we have to close down our phone and internet bill.  Then we have to get our international driver's licenses and certificates from the municipality proving that we don't have any outstanding fines or tickets or anything.  Then we take the dog to the vet to get her to fill out a form for him to leave the country.   Tomorrow, I go to the airport to get the vet certificate approved by the ministry of agriculture and then have to cancel the thing we have to keep track of the tolls on the highways around here.  Wednesday is when we're having people pick up all of our stuff and take it to a charity.  That's also when we're transferring the car over to the new owner.  Thursday is banking day, getting all of our Chilean pesos transferred to US dollars.

And then we fly Friday.  I will be soooooo happy to get on to Canadian soil and relax for a few weeks before the excitement begins again.
1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

Old Delhi - Red Fort where we were photo celebrities

Two weekends ago, we spent Friday morning (holiday) touring Old Delhi.
Red Fort The Red Fort was completed in 1639 by the 5th Mogul emperor Shah Jahan. It was the main residence of the Mogul emperors for 200 years.

Photo Celebrities
Besides the incredible history, culture, and architecture it was interesting how many people wanted to have their picture taken with us. We could have been there all day taking photos with people. We took a few photos with groups but kindly said "no thanks" to most requests. At one point, a gentleman grabbed Aidan by the arm and tried to drag him into a photo. That was a definite and not so polite "no!" I am sure that he meant no harm but he freaked Aidan out.

Here's a video of our rickshaw (auto) ride from the Red Fort to Jama Masjid.

Jain Temple outside the Red Fort
2 Guys, 2 Sledgehammers, and 1 post to pound through pavement
The Fort wall and moat, which used to be home to crocodiles
Beautiful architecture and design

Our first a…

The Trifecta of Illnesses

The Full Derwin A colleague is recovering from the trifecta of illnesses combination of Dengue, H1N1, and Bird Flu. When some colleagues found out that he had all three, they called it the "Full Derwin." I'm flattered to have the combination of three illnesses named after me. 😀

We're thinking of having a "I survived Dengue, H1N1, and Bird Flu" t-shirt made up.
The Bad The pain from the Trifecta is excruciating. You can literally feel every joint in your body; every vertebrae, every knuckle, every tendon and the entire eye socket. To roll over in bed was an agonizing process where the pain flared up and down my spine.

The fever closed in on 40 Celsius or 104 Fahrenheit. Food tasted horrible. Drinking fluids only made a trip to the bathroom necessary. And perhaps most painful of all was the slow, burning flow of urine.

One of the remedies is to drink Papaya leaf juice, which is a bitter, sour leaf juiced up. I drank as everyone told me it would help but I h…

Monkey attack, Maid & hired help, Food, and Day 1 in the Books

The doorbell rang this morning and a very shy, humble young man in his 20s introduced himself as Vineet. Vineet is our dhobi.

Every Monday and Thursday morning, we leave our laundry outside our door. Vineet takes and washes, irons, and folds the laundry and returns it to us by the end of the day.

Kirsi, Aidan, and I are having him do our laundry. Dana is doing her own. This service costs us $70 CDN/month.

For all of the sweating that we're going to do here, we feel it's worth it.

This afternoon, we met Sujata, who will be our maid. We had phoned her months ago while still living in Canada and arranged to hire her when we arrived in New Delhi.

She seems very nice and the family took to her immediately. She has worked for AES staff before so she knows the ins and outs of campus life.

Her main duties will be cooking and cleaning. She took cooking classes in Vietnamese, Thai, and Mediterranean cooking. She, of course, can cook Indian food as well. We gave her some rupe…