Skip to main content

We had no internet for a while!

December 22
We made it! We’re back in Canada now and it feels great. It was a long journey but everything went really well. We were on a new plane from Santiago to Toronto and it was as pleasant as is possible on such a long flight. Kirsi was so excited to be on the airplane; even though she’s flown before, she didn’t remember any of those flights so this was a very exciting event for her. She was super in the airport – she just hung out patiently while we waited to board, keeping her backpack nearby. On the plane, she picked out which seat she wanted to sit in and couldn’t wait to get buckled up. She thought it was the coolest thing that she could sit in the seat like a big girl and wear a big-girl seatbelt. Take-off was pretty neat too!

Aidan was a good baby on the flight too. He fell asleep just before take-off at 9:00 and he pretty much slept until an hour before we landed. He woke up often but went back to sleep right away. Kirsi was far too excited to go to sleep. It took her a couple hours to fall asleep and it was only when I was holding her. She slept until an hour before landing too but that wasn’t nearly enough.

The best thing that we did was get a hotel room in Toronto. We landed at 6:30 and our flight to Regina didn’t leave until 4:00 so we had all day to wait. To get to the Sheraton we just had to take the sky train from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3; it was super easy and fast. This was the first time that we had been in the new airport in Toronto and it is great. We only had to wait half an hour to get a room – seeing that the night before had been full due to the storms, a half-an-hour wait wasn’t anything. It helped that Derwin was super friendly when he checked in and that we have two little kids. All of us konked out for a great nap in the morning; I think I was the one who slept the most. I guess that’s what happens when you hardly sleep all night long.

The flight from Toronto to Regina went well too. It was obviously a much smaller plane but it wasn’t the tiny AC Jazz plane that I had to take the last time I was home. My carry-on bag actually fit in the overhead bin!!! lol The kids did well again, though they’d had enough of traveling. Kirsi had one mini-meltdown but she got over it really quickly and Aidan was cranky for a while until I finally got him to go to sleep. That 3 ½ hour flight seemed to take soooooooo long, mainly because I was so anxious to get home and see everyone.

We left Santiago and it was about 27C; we got to Regina and it was -24C (plus the windchill, of course). What a change in temperature!!

When we came down the stairs, we saw everyone – Gramma, Nana, Papa, Kristin, Dean, Jackie, Clay and Kim. It was so great to have everyone there to greet us and to see familiar faces again. Kirsi did so well with having that many people around. She didn’t get shy at all – she was just so excited to see everyone too. She went straight to Auntie Kristin and hung out with her for a while. In the meantime, Gramma, Nana and Papa came over to see Aidan. It was the first time that Nana and Papa had met Aidan so it was a special time for them. Mom couldn’t believe how big Aidan had gotten since she’d left in August.

It’s great to be home!!

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey attack, Maid & hired help, Food, and Day 1 in the Books

The doorbell rang this morning and a very shy, humble young man in his 20s introduced himself as Vineet. Vineet is our dhobi.

Every Monday and Thursday morning, we leave our laundry outside our door. Vineet takes and washes, irons, and folds the laundry and returns it to us by the end of the day.

Kirsi, Aidan, and I are having him do our laundry. Dana is doing her own. This service costs us $70 CDN/month.

For all of the sweating that we're going to do here, we feel it's worth it.

This afternoon, we met Sujata, who will be our maid. We had phoned her months ago while still living in Canada and arranged to hire her when we arrived in New Delhi.

She seems very nice and the family took to her immediately. She has worked for AES staff before so she knows the ins and outs of campus life.

Her main duties will be cooking and cleaning. She took cooking classes in Vietnamese, Thai, and Mediterranean cooking. She, of course, can cook Indian food as well. We gave her some rupe…

A Day of Firsts at an International School - Geckos, monkeys, and humidity oh my!

We arrived in New Delhi late last night to a warm welcome from the admin and support team from the American Embassy School New Delhi. It was nice meeting the people that were helping us get here in person. They've been very efficient and helpful in navigating the sea of paperwork of applications and visas.

Jet lag had me up at 4:00 in the morning and I immediately checked out the Hindi Devotional playlist on Google Music. I'm really digging the mellow, groove. Click on the link, turn up the music, and keep reading. Aidan is really digging the music, as well.

So far, it's been a day+ of firsts.

Kirsi and Aidan's first long international flight as independent children. They did a great job of navigating all of the steps involved in international travel and are pros now.Our new apartment is really nice - a video tour and pictures to come. Kirsi "loves our apartment, it's awesome."A gecko on the balcony at 1:30 in the morning sent the kids screaming to the sa…

Lodi Gardens & Kirsi's Soccer

Here is what our Saturday has looked like so far: Dana and Aidan Dana and Aidan went with the school group named HOPE at Lodi Gardens. There, they worked with the rest of the staff and students to offer activities to students from a local school. It's an amazing program.
Aidan said that it was "really awesome" to be able to work with the students and that Lodi Gardens was beautiful. 
Dana came away with some amazing photos.
{pictures below}