Skip to main content

Starting a new routine

Thursday, Der went back to work so that meant the start of a new routine for us. Granted, my mom is still here but it's one less set of hands to help out during the day. I'll have a month to get used to it and then my mom goes back home. It's good that I'll have the transition period because it's going to take a lot of getting used to.

With Kirsi, I got a routine established pretty quickly. I knew what I needed to bring with me if we went out and I pretty quick at getting out of the house. But now, with two kids, it's a different story. I'll get one of the kids ready to go (usually Kirsi first) and then the other one, but in the meantime, someone needs something else. A dirty diaper, someone has spit up, a spilled drink, whatever. I have to get the timing down for this new ball game!! :) Right now, I need to anticipate an hour to get out of the house.

Aidan isn't really on a schedule at all. He tends to eat every 3 hours or so but it's not at any set time because his feedings throughout the night aren't the same all the time. And we still have some rough nights where he takes a long time to get back to sleep, which means that I'm super tired in the morning. Thankfully, those nights aren't too often any more.

Kirsi still looks forward to her outings so we try to get out at least once a day. She loves going for walks so that's an easy way to get out of the house. The shopping mall is still a highlight too, so we can always go there for a while and she'll be happy. We got back to going to playgroup on Thursday mornings also so she gets to see her friends then. Now that school has started again, we'll be able to get back to seeing our Nido friends too.

I would like to get into a habit of doing yoga with the kids every day. I did it religiously with Kirsi and we both loved it. I honestly think it helped her so much in her development so I'd like to keep it up with her and start it with Aidan. I'd also like to do it myself. I have my 6-week post-delivery appointment on Monday so I should get the go-ahead to start exercising and getting fit. We have the ellipitical trainer in the living room now (the only place it'll fit!!) so I want to do that at least 3 times a week too. I need to get back into shape - it's been far too long since I felt like I was somewhat fit.

The diet is a little tougher right now because I've had to make quite a few modifications to it to accomodate Aidan - no spices, no chocolate (though that's a good thing for the diet!), no citrus, no gaseous veggies and no sauces or foods with vinegar. It seems like decaf coffee in moderation is OK, thank goodness!! You don't realize how little flavour food has without herbs and spices. I had to do this with Kirsi too, but by the time she was three months old, I was able to slowly reintegrate foods. The only thing that I couldn't eat for a full year was chocolate, not necessarily a bad thing!
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey attack, Maid & hired help, Food, and Day 1 in the Books

The doorbell rang this morning and a very shy, humble young man in his 20s introduced himself as Vineet. Vineet is our dhobi.

Every Monday and Thursday morning, we leave our laundry outside our door. Vineet takes and washes, irons, and folds the laundry and returns it to us by the end of the day.

Kirsi, Aidan, and I are having him do our laundry. Dana is doing her own. This service costs us $70 CDN/month.

For all of the sweating that we're going to do here, we feel it's worth it.

This afternoon, we met Sujata, who will be our maid. We had phoned her months ago while still living in Canada and arranged to hire her when we arrived in New Delhi.

She seems very nice and the family took to her immediately. She has worked for AES staff before so she knows the ins and outs of campus life.

Her main duties will be cooking and cleaning. She took cooking classes in Vietnamese, Thai, and Mediterranean cooking. She, of course, can cook Indian food as well. We gave her some rupe…

A Day of Firsts at an International School - Geckos, monkeys, and humidity oh my!

We arrived in New Delhi late last night to a warm welcome from the admin and support team from the American Embassy School New Delhi. It was nice meeting the people that were helping us get here in person. They've been very efficient and helpful in navigating the sea of paperwork of applications and visas.

Jet lag had me up at 4:00 in the morning and I immediately checked out the Hindi Devotional playlist on Google Music. I'm really digging the mellow, groove. Click on the link, turn up the music, and keep reading. Aidan is really digging the music, as well.

So far, it's been a day+ of firsts.

Kirsi and Aidan's first long international flight as independent children. They did a great job of navigating all of the steps involved in international travel and are pros now.Our new apartment is really nice - a video tour and pictures to come. Kirsi "loves our apartment, it's awesome."A gecko on the balcony at 1:30 in the morning sent the kids screaming to the sa…

Lodi Gardens & Kirsi's Soccer

Here is what our Saturday has looked like so far: Dana and Aidan Dana and Aidan went with the school group named HOPE at Lodi Gardens. There, they worked with the rest of the staff and students to offer activities to students from a local school. It's an amazing program.
Aidan said that it was "really awesome" to be able to work with the students and that Lodi Gardens was beautiful. 
Dana came away with some amazing photos.
{pictures below}